rich morris sermons

This blog is setup so that anyone wishing to read my sermons will have access to them at their convenience. If anyone ever feels that need.

Name:
Location: Duncansville, Pennsylvania, United States

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Spiritual Makeover – Ash Wednesday

Scripture: Psalm 32

Some of you may have heard of our wrestling matches in the Morris household. They started off as spontaneous outbursts of masculine joy, (which, frankly, I didn’t know Jenn had in her) but they have evolved into more formalized bouts for the boys and me. For example the other day Michael went over this list of rules for engagement, so to speak:

“No tickling, no tripping, no punching in the neck (I would like note I have never done that to him), no wet willies (if you don’t know, you may not want to).” I agreed reluctantly to these rules and we began the Michael Morris Invitational Wrestling Match. (The MMIWM)

I mention this because it never fails to amaze me how easily we submit to rules and procedures governing the simplest activities in life ( e.g. please follow steps to ensure your coffee brewing success) and yet so stridently resist rules and guidelines for the deep and complex questions and goals of our lives. More on that in a moment.

I’m thinking of a show on television, very popular, in which a man will open the door to his home or apartment to four other guys, complete strangers to him, really. These four strangers burst into the man’s home and turn their “eye” on everything about this man and the place in which he lives, and frenetically go about changing as much as they can about him. The object of their attention, we’ll call Bob. Bob seems to be a capable, competent man in almost every way. Usually Bob has a good job, a decent place to live, sometimes even has a wife and children. But Bob opens his home to these four other men because he is , gasp!, fashion-challenged. He is (hee-hee) a Neanderthal compared to these sleek, sophisticated, urbanites with their gay chic take on personal grooming, clothes, home décor, and cooking. Their sexuality (nudge-nudge) is not so secret and that’s part of the appeal. These gay men are so good at what this obviously clueless heterosexual is not – style. And by the end of the show these fashionistas are invariably successful. Bob looks good, smells good, houses and cooks well. What would we do without those gay guys!

I’m amazed and fascinated by this phenomenon. What also interests me is this question: what would happen if after the fashionistas left Bob’s house there came another knock on the door. Bob opens the door and he sees four other men standing there, and by their attire, Bob correctly guesses that they’re all Christian clergy. Would Bob invite them in? Would Bob let these four ministers throw out the inappropriate and excessive in Bob’s life? Would Bob listen to them as they suggest that he begin to pray more, give more, and volunteer more of his time at a food pantry for the homeless or the local YMCA? As they impressed upon Bob the importance of attending weekly worship and being connected to a Christian community would Bob look on with obvious gratitude? I wonder, would these four ministers even get in the door?

A friend of mine told me the other day about a book he came across called something like Hollywood Spirituality. In skimming the book my friend reported that most of our Hollywood stars have a “strong affinity for God but”. What this means is these stars believe in God or a higher power “but not in organized religion.” Organized religion, if you haven’t heard, is what’s wrong with our country and our world in the eyes of some. And not just in Hollywood. A colleague of mine told me he went into the local gas station/convenience store for a cup of coffee one morning recently. The store is a popular hangout in the mornings for some of the locals. My colleague liked to spend time there when he could. The man in front of him in line was taking a little long and apologized to my friend for the holdup. No, my friend smiled, I’m just here to take in the sights and get some sermon material. “You must be a preacher then,” the man said. “You and people like you are the reason I have to fix so many screwed up people.” Apparently the man was a psychologist in the area. My clergy colleague was a little stunned and didn’t offer much in way of rebuttal. Me, I would like to invite the man to the Michael Morris Invitational (MMIWM) no rules required.

Is religion really the enemy? Can we all make it to God/heaven on our own, or do we in fact need the help and guidance that true religion offers? Psalm 32 begins “Happy are those whose sins are forgiven. . .” And then the psalmist describes what happens to us when we pretend we have no sin, or pretend we have no need of rules or discipline or community. “When I kept silence, my body wasted away. . .your hand was heavy upon me; my strength dried up as by the heat of summer.” Selah.

Selah is a funny word that appears in the margins of your Bible three times in this psalm. It appears elsewhere in the Psalms as well. No one knows for sure what it means, but the best guess is that it is a note to pause during the song or reading and meditate on the truth that was just revealed. Selah.

Verse 5: “I acknowledged my sin to you and I did not hide. I said ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and you forgave the guilt of my sin.” Honesty and Confession lead to forgiveness. Selah.

Verse 6: “Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you. . .you are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.”
Prayer is a path to God’s protection and help. Selah.

Verse 8: “I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” God teaches us and gives us wisdom in our decisions. He watches over us constantly. Selah.


I heard Duffy Robbins talk once about the origins of Ballroom Dancing. Ballroom Dancing is known for its elegance and grace. It is a more formalized and some would say, civilized, way of dancing than more modern, rock-and-roll generations are accustomed to. Ballroom Dancing can be done by anyone, but it is not done without training and practice. You have to learn this kind of dancing. You have to learn the steps. I’m told the beginning is slow and ponderous. You do a lot of staring at your feet and focusing on the progression of the steps. But once you learn the steps, you and your partner can enjoy the grace and beauty of the dance. And you can enjoy each other’s company. That’s the best part. In fact, Robbins notes, that’s why ballroom dancing was invented, so people would have an excuse to get together, and talk, and enjoy each other’s company. That’s the reason for learning the dance - to be with another person.

“Organized Christianity” proposes a similar thing. The Church teaches people steps of faith and discipline, not as an end in themselves, but in order that they may learn to enjoy the company of the Lord they seek. Religion is not rules only – it’s a relationship with Jesus. You must learn and practice and do the steps all your life: prayer, confession, listening, serving, studying, giving. But you’re not supposed to stare at your feet. You’re supposed to look into the Beloved’s eyes.


Verse 9 of Psalm 32 tellingly says, “Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle. . .Many are the torments of the wicked ( how we suffer for lack of discipline in our lives!) . . .but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the Lord.

Selah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home