rich morris sermons

This blog is setup so that anyone wishing to read my sermons will have access to them at their convenience. If anyone ever feels that need.

Name:
Location: Duncansville, Pennsylvania, United States

Friday, January 19, 2007

A Body Thou Hast Prepared

Scripture: Hebrews 10.5-10; Luke 1.39-55


I’m generally a positive person. In fact, call me Mr. Sunshine.

But lately my skies have been cloudy. In case you haven’t heard, I’ve been sick. . . for two months! I think I have malaria. Whatever I have, I think it’s starting to take its toll. I’m getting a little cranky.

I’m snapping at my pets a lot. You know, they’ve been pushing me and pushing me! I know I’m getting cranky because I’m paying a lot of attention to the way people park in parking lots. People are not parking between the lines and this is upsetting to me. I mean, all they have to do is park it in the rectangle.

I simply ask for your patience and understanding. It’s the Sudafed talking.

Now, I know my problems pale in comparison to the problems of so many other people. People I know and care about are dealing with much bigger problems than I have. And I am humbled by their courage and perseverance.

I am reminded of a world that doesn’t have access to the kind of medicine and care that I assume will be there for me at a moments notice.

I am reminded of the genocide and war in Sudan and the ravages of Aids through the African continent.

Tom Brokaw gave a helpful reminder on Letterman the other night, and I thought he put it well. “No matter what you think about the war in Iraq, if you hate it, and there’s good reason to, don’t lose sight of the fact that there are young men and women over there, who this very minute, while we are enjoying the blessing and festivity of the holidays, are putting their lives in danger in service to their country. They deserve our support.”


There is a world of trouble that dwarfs my own in significance.
Who will do something about it?

Does God hear the prayers of the cancer patient? Does Heaven care for the cries of the Sudan and the Congo? Is anyone watching over the soldier on post in Baghdad?

God’s Word tell us that for the troubles of the world, radical intervention is needed. Sacrifices and offerings won’t do. They are the remedies of a religion making supplication to an as yet relatively hidden and distant God.

God must come closer. Mere words and ideas about God cease to comfort and satisfy. What do I mean? Well, I’m sure most everyone and every family here has, at some time, been touched by serious illness or tragedy. Think back to that time. Who provided the most comfort to you?

Hopefully, there were at least several friends for you in your time of trouble. Perhaps even one of these friends had some wise and comforting words to share with you. Maybe they even had faith to share with you. But what I bet you remember most is the friend who went beyond words, beyond saying, “If there’s anything I can do for you. . .” And they actually did it. They cooked. They cleaned. They chauffeured. They held your hand and prayed. They showed up.

This is called, in pastor parlance, “The ministry of presence.” You gotta be there. You don’t always to say anything, but you have to be there.

And elderly man in Phoenix telephoned his son in New York a couple weeks before Christmas. He said, “Son, your mother and I have been married for 40 years and I just wanted to call and tell you we’ve decided to get a divorce.”

His son was aghast. “Dad, hold on, don’t you and mother do a thing until I’ve had a chance to come and talk to you. I’ll be on the next plane to Phoenix!”

The son hung up and called his sister in Chicago and told her the news. “Like heck they are! I’ll meet you in Phoenix, and we’ll talk some sense into them.” She called her father. “Dad, brother just called and told me that you and mom are getting a divorce. Don’t you do anything until I’ve had a chance to talk with you. I’ll be on the next plane to Phoenix.”

Her father hung up the phone, turned to his wife, and said, “Honey, both kids are coming home for Christmas, and they’re paying their own way!”

When it matters, you have to be close to those you love. You have to show up.

I see ministers of presence in this group, ones I have seen in action showing up in our lives to be comfort and help and strength.

And in so doing, these saints are reflecting quite clearly the image of God. Because God was not content to watch the world’s troubles and express sympathy from afar.

God prepared a body. Through a young virgin, God inhabited the body. God showed up in the body to do a radical intervention on behalf of the world he created. God’s love came close.

“And it is by God’s will that we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all.” Hebrews 10.10

“The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s only Son, full of grace and truth.” John 1.14

If you believe this, you are called not just to assent to this idea but to love as God loves. With more than words and ideas, but with a real ministry of presence, in the flesh, if you will.

James puts it this way, “What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill,” and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith, by itself, if it has no works, is dead. . .I by my works will show you my faith.” James 2.14-18

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home